- A clean garage. (I'd forgotten how long it had been since it had been that clean.)
- A greeting of welcome from a friend at church ... who used words that showed that I was, in fact, truly welcome.
- The gift of music, which keeps on giving, again and again.
- A pastor who preaches the truth, and is willing to admit that he falls short of that truth himself.
- Knowing that generations of young people are still playing Nethack ... and have celebrated that awesome game with an annual tournament each November. (I wish I still had the time to play Nethack ... it was an exceedingly cool pastime back in the day ...)
- Being able to laugh at the Lions. Seriously. The Lions were winning 23-13 at halftime, and my honest thought was, "I wonder how they're going to manage to lose this one." I wasn't disappointed.
- (Hm. Is rooting against the Lions like buying a credit default swap, hoping that someone defaults on a mortgage? Weird.)
- Being recognized at work for all the little things.
- Deciding to cancel class ... and having the boss affirm my decision after the fact.
Dear colleagues, This week, I had three different students visit my office hours (or "student hours", as the trendy schools are calling them these…
In sixth grade, I was a student in Mrs. Fitzpatrick's class at Harrison Elementary School in Inkster, MI. One day, substantially into the year, we…
(Warning, long, self-indulgent, emo post. Read on at your own risk.) Several years ago, as my patient family will attest, I fell into a YouTube…