1. Elaborate on your default icon.
I believe it comes from a family picture taken a few years ago, cropped down to size. My holiday icon, of course, is thanks to asterapallas , who did some creative editing on my default picture.
2. What's your current relationship status?
3. Ever have a near-death experience?
4. Name an obvious quality you have.
Um ... thoughtful, I suppose. Either that, or overweight ... :)
5. What's the name of the song that's stuck in your head right now?
Well, I've got "Pressure" in my head at the moment, but I just got finished watching the first night of "The Sing-Off" ...
6. Name a celebrity you would marry.
Gosh, I'm not into the whole celebrity thing. But if I wasn't already married ... maybe Marissa Meyer of Google? (That's hardly a celebrity, I know ...)
7. Who will cut and paste this first?
Heck if I know ...
8. Has anyone ever said you look like a celebrity?
Not exactly. But I used to teach a Sunday School class at church with curriculum produced by the Nazarene Publishing House, and the editor-in-chief had a column that appeared in the quarterly reader that appeared with his photo ... and there was a resemblance there ...
9. Do you wear a watch? What kind?
It's a Timex Expedition.
10. Do you have anything pierced?
11. Do you have any tattoos?
12. Do you like pain?
13. Do you like to shop?
Yes and no.
I don't like shopping as recreation, like it is for many people. I also have far too many possessions in my life to take much joy in acquiring more possessions.
On the other hand, when given a definitive shopping list, there is a feeling of achievement that comes from going out, finding everything on the list, crossing everything off, and bringing it home. It's a very hunter-gatherer instinct, I think: go out, kill the groceries, drag them home.
14. What was the last thing you paid for with cash?
Breakfast at the McDonald's drive-through.
15. What was the last thing you paid for with your credit/debit card?
Movie tickets last night.
16. Who was the last person you spoke to on the phone?
A parent of a middle-school student who is quickly becoming an uber-geek CS type ... the parent was looking for some advice on how to keep the student engaged.
17. What is on your desktop background?
It's the "Bliss" picture from Windows XP.
18. What is the background on your cell phone?
My el-cheapo cellphone doesn't have backgrounds ... just plain white.
19. Do you like redheads?
Sure ... though I suppose it depends on the sauce. :)
20. Do you know any twins?
Not actively ... I did go to high school with a set of twins.
21. Do you have any weird relatives?
Weirder than me, you mean?
22. What was the last movie you watched?
Invictus, last night. (A nice movie, by the way ... has me thinking very profound thoughts lately ...)
23. What was the last book you read?
Gosh ... that's hard. I'm currently reading a CS textbook in my spare time, trying to get ready for next term ...
1) How old do you wish you were?
Gosh, I don't know. I might take about five years back ... but maybe not.
2) Where were you when 9/11 happened?
In a computer lab here at Kettering ... along with wildirishrose80 ...
3) What do you do when vending machines steal your money?
Sigh and move on, mostly ... though it's been a really long time since that's happened, so who knows?
4) Do you consider yourself kind?
5) If you had to get a tattoo, where would it be?
Ankle, I suppose ... so that it wouldn't be visible most of the time.
6) If you could be fluent in any other language what would it be?
You know, I used to say Spanish, because I took a couple of years worth in college ... but German might be more practical for me these days, given the types of interactions.
7) Do you know your neighbor?
Nope. It'd be nice if we did ... we've tried to reach out, and nothing ever happens.
8) What do you consider a vacation?
Getting physically away from work, and not touching email.
9) Do you follow your horoscope?
Nope. Utterly preposterous stuff.
10) Would you move for the person you loved?
11) Are you touchy feely?
Probably not ... depends on how you interpret that word.
12) Do you believe that opposites attract?
Opposites, no. Complements, yes.
13) Dream job?
Teaching CS at one of the military academies. (So, while I'm not at an academy, I'm pretty lucky to be working at a job that I love.)
14) Favorite channel(s)?
I'm not as much of a "channel" guy as a "program" guy.
15) Favorite place to go on weekends?
We don't really travel much on weekends ... partially because we're committed to church, where we spend a lot of our Sundays. So, I suppose that's our favorite weekend place ...
16) Showers or Baths?
17) Do you paint your nails?
No. It's harder to pound them into the wood when they're painted. :)
18) Do you trust people easily?
Yes. And it hurts.
19) What are your phobias?
Not sure I have any, really.
20) Do you want kids?
Already have two, thanks.
21) Do you keep a handwritten journal?
I did for about two years in college. That ended up being incredibly theraputic, as it turns out, because my sister unexpectedly died right in the middle of that journaling project. It was very helpful for me to process through the grieving process.
22) Where would you rather be right now?
Hanging out at home, as long as all the chores were done.
23) What makes you feel warm and safe?
Gosh, I don't know ... home, sometimes.
25) Are you paranoid?
Why do you ask? Do you know something I don't? :)
Seriously ... I'm not overly paranoid, except that in certain circumstances I've become so, for good reason.
26) Are you impatient?
Most of the time, no. It's those few times that I am impatient that get me into trouble.
27) Who can you relate to?
28) How do you feel about interracial couples?
No problems here ...
29) Have you been burned by love?
No. I've been blessed.
30) What's your life motto?
Don't know that I have one, really. My Facebook motto is a quote from Alan Simpson: "If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters."
31) What's your main ringtone on your mobile?
Heck if I know ... it's one of the ones that came installed by default. (Did I mention I had an el-cheapo phone?)
32) What were you doing at midnight last night?
Snuggling into bed.
33) Who was your last text message from?
Gosh, it was months ago ... who knows ...
34) Who's bed did you sleep in last night?
35) What color shirt are you wearing?
37) Name four things you have on you at all times.
My glasses, my wedding ring, my phone and my Palm.
38) What color are your bed sheets?
39) How much cash do you have on you right now?
40) What is your favorite part of the chicken?
41) What's your favorite town/city?
I really enjoy visiting Washington, DC ... I'm a sucker for the history that the town is drenched in.
42) I can't wait until...
... right now? Christmas day, maybe.
43) Who got you to join livejournal?
Well ... I was Googling myself to see what people might be saying about me, and I stumbled across tukaro 's blog when he was talking about taking my class at the time. Then I stumbled across darthdingus (another student of mine), and created an account mostly just to leave non-anonymous comments. A while after that, I decided to start trying this blogging thing for myself, mainly as an experiment to see what the heck these crazy kids were doing.
44) What did you have for dinner last night?
Oy ... it was a quick grab at leftovers ... mixed salad with balsamic vinagrette dressing, and some tomato-rice mixture (very yummy) that was leftover from the previous day's meal.
45) How tall are you barefoot?
46) Have you ever smoked heroin?
47) Do you own a gun?
48) What do you prefer to drink in the morning?
49) What is your secret weapon to lure in the opposite sex?
Secret? Me? Keep in mind that I've had exactly one girlfriend my entire life. But for her, sending her a poinsettia in November seemed to get her attention ...
50) Do you have A.D.D.?
Probably (... SQUIRREL! ... huh?) not.
51) What time did you wake up today?
52) Current worry?
Getting everything done before Christmas with my folks this Saturday. And then getting ready for classes next term.
53) Current hate?
The hypocrisy of certain people. (Grr.)
54) Favorite place to be?
Cedar Campus, Cedarville, MI.
55) Where would you like to travel?
Wow. Traveling is hard ... I get stressed en-route. But if someone else were to handle all the details? Touring England (in particular, London) might be nice. But like I said above, I could spend a week in DC just monument-hopping and be gloriously happy.
56) Where do you think you'll be in 10 years?
Probably right here.
57) Last thing you ate?
Soup and popcorn for lunch. (Trying to take it easy ... big dinner tonight.)
58) What songs do you sing in the shower?
I don't sing in the shower.
59) Last person who made you laugh?
Probably one of my students this morning.
60) Worst injury you've ever had?
Probably the T11-12 compression fracture in my back. Had to wear a back brace for three months. Made snuggling with my girfriend really difficult.
61) Does someone have a crush on you?
Not that I'm aware of ...
62) What is your favorite candy?
Trying to stay away ... but classic M&Ms are pretty good ...
63) What song do you want played at your funeral?
As long as there are songs of praise, I'm not sure it matters much. (After all, I won't be in attendance ...)
64) Why do we do these stupid surveys?
Curiosity. Boredom. And perhaps a desire to show off a bit, maybe?
65) Where did you get this from?