1. What did you do in 2011 that you'd never done before?
Geocaching. Had one of those "you're grounded" moments with my son. Wrote a parody song for a skit.
2. Did you keep your new years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I don't do New Year's resolutions. I have enough problems with false guilt as it is; I certainly don't need to add more reasons to feel guilty.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
My brother-in-law and his wife. We don't see them often (they're in Baltimore), but that's probably the "closest" (relationally) to me.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Not that I recall.
5. What countries did you visit?
None this year.
6. What would you like to have in 2012 that you lacked in 2011?
Peace about my place in life ... who I am, where I am, what I'm doing.
7. What date from 2011 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
There were plenty of events that I'll remember, but none are associated with calendar dates.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Winning the Outstanding Teaching Award at Kettering for the second time.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Applying for promotion ... such a big failure that I ended up pulling the application a few weeks after submitting it.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
11. What was the best thing you bought?
A GPS. (Or two, if you count the gift I got for Christmas.)
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
My wife, as always, for being the help-mate and companion I so desperately need.
My daughter, who continues to excel academically, and more importantly is growing into a delightful woman.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
The old guard of folks that love to kvetch and complain in order to hear the sound of their own voice ...
14. Where did most of your money go?
Usual places. Mortgage, food, gas, utilities ...
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Geocaching. It got me outside and moving a bit, which I need to do much, much more of.
16. What song will always remind you of 2011?
I don't know ...
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. happier or sadder?
Probably sadder. Last year, I was excited about applying for promotion. This year, I'm wondering if it'll ever happen, and if the choices I've made have essentially stranded me.
ii. thinner or fatter?
Pretty much a push there. Need to be thinner. Much thinner. (sigh)
iii. richer or poorer?
Probably richer, all things considered.
18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
I dunno, really. Maybe the whole online gaming world.
20. How will you be spending Christmas?
Visiting my parents, and her parents.
21. Did you fall in love in 2011?
That happened much longer ago ...
22. How many one-night stands?
None. And darn proud of it.
23. What was your favorite TV program?
Hard to say. Falling in love with Mythbusters. Have been enjoying Season 3 of The Sing-Off.
24. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
Pretty much unchanged.
25. What was the best book you read?
I wish I could say that I could remember reading a book of my own volition.
26. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Travis Cotrell, perhaps.
27. What did you want and get?
A new geocaching-compatible GPS.
28. What did you want and not get?
29. What was your favorite film of this year?
The Big Year. It's a movie about bird watching ... but not really. It's more of a movie about goals, and obsessions, and life choices, and family, and how you balance all of those. It's amazing.
30. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
43. I was probably in class all day ... listening to ethics presentations, watching end-of-the-term movies 'cuz we were too burned out to do "useful" work, stuff like that. I think I did go out and do some geocaching before supper with my folks.
31. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Look, can I quit answering the same question, please?
32. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2011?
33. What kept you sane?
Well, given that I've rarely been accused of being sane ... my wife and kids.
34. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Nope. Not needed.
35. What political issue stirred you the most?
Pretty much tried to stay out of it. Too much for me to do locally to get worked-up about national politics.
36. Who did you miss?
Not sure anyone qualifies.
37. Who was the best new person you met?
There are some new families at church that are really nice.
38. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2011.
You can't make everyone happy --- and ultimately, that means you can't get every reward that's out there.
39. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
You can't always get what you want
But if you try sometimes you might find
You get what you need