1. What did you do in 2014 that you'd never done before?
Completed a 1000-day streak of finding geocaches. (The streak is still active.) Walked out of a meeting. Took a week-long road trip with the family around Lake Erie.
2. Did you keep your New Year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I don't make New Year's resolutions. Too much false guilt in my psyche already.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Not particularly close. Well, one friend did earn her PhD, which is awfully close ...
4. Did anyone close to you die?
5. What countries did you visit?
Canada (with the family).
6. What would you like to have in 2015 that you lacked in 2014?
A sense of purpose.
7. What date in 2014 will remain etched upon your memory?
None really stand out.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
The aforementioned geocaching streak.
9. What was your biggest failure?
The research agendas I had been pursuing died stillborn.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
No. It was a good year from that perspective.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Probably all that gasoline on our family road trip.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Two colleagues at church stepped down --- for all the right reasons --- and allowed us to say a proper "goodbye" to them. A few others stepped forward to take on increased leadership roles, and are doing wonderfully. My parents celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary. Jane & I celebrated our 20th wedding anniversary. Several teens at church stepped forward to join the praise team.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Most politicians. I used to be such a news junkie. About all I can take anymore is my Facebook feed --- and even that is questionable. There are others, but public discretion requires me to stay silent.
14. Where did most of your money go?
I wish I knew. Home repairs. Car repairs. Vacation.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Geocaching, maybe? Beyond that ...
16. What song/album will always remind you of 2014?
"Oceans", perhaps ... seemed to be everywhere for awhile.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
1. Happier or sadder? Sadder.
2. Thinner or fatter? Fatter.
3. Richer or poorer? Hard to tell. Feels poorer, but that can be deceiving.
18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Wasting time online.
20. How did you spend Christmas?
One week with her family in PA. New Year's day with my family.
21. Who did you spend the most time on the phone with?
Mostly my wife, I'm guessing.
22. Did you fall in love in 2014?
Still with my first love.
23. How many one night stands in this last year?
None. Of course.
24. What was your favorite TV program?
Marvel's Agents of SHIELD.
25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
Too strong a word.
26. What was the best book you read?
I can't think of a book I read for myself in, like, ever.
27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Finally learned the name of one of the songs I loved from long ago: "Mountain Dance" by Dave Gruslin
28. What did you want and get?
Waders and a headlamp (for geocaching).
29. What did you want and not get?
A research agenda. A raise. A feeling that The Powers That Be give a #@$! about my work.
30. What were your favorite films of the year?
Saw a number of films, but I'm hard pressed to pick a "favorite". X-Men, maybe?
31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
46. Can't remember .... I think we went to dinner with the family, but that was about it. School day for everybody.
32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Knowing what I'm supposed to be doing. Being excited enough about something to drive me out of bed in the morning and into the world to work on it.
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2014?
Slovenly. I'm paying less and less attention to personal appearance these days.
34. What kept you sane?
"Kept" requires actually being sane in the first place, but ... God, family, church.
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Maybe Hadi Partovi. I dunno ... I'm not into celebrity worship, and I try not to spend time being jealous of others.
36. What political issue stirred you the most?
Colleges kicking Christian groups off-campus in the name of "diversity".
37. Who did you miss?
Church friends, gone but not forgotten ...
38. Who was the best new person you met?
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2014.
Caring about a job more than the person who gave you the job is foolish.
40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year?
Code Monkey have every reason
To get out this place
Code Monkey just keep on working
See your soft pretty face
Much rather wake up, eat a coffee cake
Take bath, take nap
This job "fulfilling in creative way"
Such a load of crap
Code Monkey think someday he have everything even pretty girl like you
Code Monkey just waiting for now
Code Monkey say someday, somehow ...