Haven't done one of these in awhile ...
- Happy New Year, y'all.
- Took the kids to see Bolt last week. It's a nice piece. Very typical Disney faire ... and I've definitely gotten to the point where I can figure out the major plot moves along the way. Still, it's a quite pleasant diversion.
- Yesterday went out to see Valkyrie with Jane. Very nice as well. It lacks a certain amount of drama ... mainly because, of course, the ending of the movie is obvious going into it, so there's really no suspense along the way. But having said that ... the movie is very well executed. Ain't gonna win any awards, but it's a respectable way to spend a couple hours.
- The house is finally clean. Only took several days ... especially with me diverting every few minutes to play games and stuff.
- The big news ... once I get all the grading done next week, I'm on a mini-sabbatical leave. Normally, I'd just have April-June as my "summer vacation". This year, though, due to a variety of circumstances, I actually get six months without teaching responsibilities. This is very nice.
- At the same time, though, this is really intimidating, because I need to actually get some useful stuff done. Having this extra time off is costing Kettering real money, and they're expecting that I will produce some results. Every time I get my "summer" 3-months off, I usually set aside about 5 months worth of work, get about 1.5 months work done, and then feel immensely guilty about it. I need to get my rest and renewal time in, but I also need to get some productive stuff done, too. I have a list of things to do. How much will get done? This scares the @#$! out of me.
- Doing nothing for a couple of weeks has felt really good, though.
- Whatever you do, do not play Bubble Spinner.
- I seem to have gotten hooked on Facebook lately ... the whole "what are you doing now" thing is blogging in a whole different way ... little single sentence updates. And then I keep checking in to see what other people are doing. Curious, this.