Wednesday Hodgepodge: 11 October 2017
The Wednesday Hodgepodge appears courtesy of From This Side Of The Pond.
1. On a scale of 1-10 how would you rate your sense of direction? 1=can't find my way out of a paper bag and 10=if I've been somewhere once I can find it blindfolded ten years later.
When was the last time you looked at/used a map you could hold in your hand? (phones don't count!)
back east, down south, out west, up north
Choose one of these directional expressions and tell us why you chose it.
Sense of direction? Probably a 7-8. Part of that, though, comes from living in flat parts of the country, where it's pretty easy to maintain your relative sense of direction.
Printed map? Might've been a month ago when we went to the Renaissance Festival and were looking at the fairground map.
Directional? Probably "up north" ... for just about everyone in Michigan, "up north" means the Upper Peninsula, and that's holy ground for all of us. (Especially for me, as frequent readers know.)
2. Did you do more talking or listening yesterday? Is that typical? Describe your yesterday in one word.
Yesterday (Tuesday) was more talking ... but that's because I was teaching for 6 hours. As much as I love flipped models of classroom instruction, a typical class for me still involves more talking than listening for me. I'm moving in those directions, but ever-so-slowly.
One word for yesterday? Tiring.
3. Time, money, water-power-resources, opportunity...which one on the list are you most guilty of wasting? What might you do to change that?
Opportunity, maybe. When I have opportunity to rest, I don't use it effectively. But that's an old story ... and, no, I don't know what to do about it.
4. Did your family take regular vacations when you were a kid? Tell us something you remember about a family roadtrip from your own childhood.
We did take regular summer vacations. Mostly what I remember is the months before vacation, looking at the meticulous planning on a calendar as we decided where we were going and what we were doing.
5. If you could grow anything you wanted, what would you grow? Why?
Maybe a longer mustache? Mine has gotten long enough to become comical, but I have a silent admiration for folks who can grow mustaches long enough to become handlebars.
6. Insert your own random thought here.
It's been a long and frustrating week. I tried to take last Thursday off as a "mental health day", and ended up being dragged back into all the stress of my life anyways, with even more piled on. I'm trying to get through it, with the help of my friends.