Wednesday Hodgepodge: 3 January 2018
What, a Wednesday Hodgepodge completed on a Wednesday? I must still be on vacation or something :)
The Wednesday Hodgepodge appears courtesy of From This Side Of The Pond.
1. It's that time of year again...time for Lake Superior University to present a list of words (or phrases) they'd like to see banished (for over-use, mis-use, or genera uselessness) in 2018. You can read more about the decision making process and word meaning here, but this year's top vote getters are-
unpack, dish (as in dish out the latest rumor), pre-owned, onboarding/offboarding, nothingburger, let that sink in, let me ask you this, impactful, Cofefe, drill down, fake news, hot water heater (hot water doesn't need to be heated), and gig economy
Which of these words/phrases would you most like to see banished from everyday speech and why? Is there a word not on the list you'd like to add?
I'm terribly biased on this one.
The word I'd like to see banished is "dish" ... not because of the use of the word itself, but because of what it represents. Gossip hurts people. More to the point: gossip hurt me in the last year. I do my best not to engage in it myself, but our culture seems to thrive on it.
We'd be so much better off as a culture if we'd find a way to talk people instead of talking people.
2. What's something you need to get rid of in the new year?
The usual. About 40 pounds. Stress. Clutter. Guilt.
3. Where do you feel stuck?
Just about everywhere.
4. January is National Soup Month. When did you last have a bowl of soup? Was it made from scratch or from a can? Your favorite canned soup? Your favorite soup to make from scratch on a cold winter's day?
I had my last bowl of soup on New Years Day evening ... my dear wife brought home a hambone from Grandma's house, and used it as the base for a ham-and-potato soup.
Favorite canned soup: usually tomato, though occasionally I'm in a mood for chicken noodle.
Favorite scratch soup: well, it all depends on what you mean by "scratch". Usually for our Super Bowl party, my wife makes a taco soup, which (if I recall correctly) is composed of cans of French onion soup, cream of cheddar soup, and no-bean chili. It's delightful.
5. Tell us one thing you're looking forward to in 2018.
I wish I had something in mind.
6. Insert your own random thought here.
The academic term begins on Monday. So I really need to get back to semester preparations. The hardest thing in the world to do, though, is getting back to work after a vacation, when I don't have to be anywhere in particular to do my work.