Used a handgun (on a shooting range).
2. Did you keep your new years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year?:
I don't make resolutions ... the few times I did, I set up unreasonable expectations and failed. I don't need to add extra failure to my life right about now ... I have enough genuine failure, thank you very much.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?:
My wife's brother and wife did last spring. That's probably the closest.
4. Did anyone close to you die?:
Not that I recall.
5. What countries did you visit?
I think Canada was the only country I visited.
6. What would you like to have in 2008 that you lacked in 2007?
A close friend (working on that one), a sense that people above me respect my work (with more than lip service), and a clean desk.
7. What date from 2007 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
November 13th. I don't know if it will last ... but it's made a big difference in my internal attitudes.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
I wish I could feel like there was a huge one. Just getting through it seems like a lot.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Chewing out that family at church ... that never came back. Ugh.
10. What was the best thing you bought?
The FM transmitter so that I can listen to NPR podcasts in my car. Completely changed the way I drive.
11. Whose behavior merited celebration?
12. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
I shouldn't say publicly.
13. Where did most of your money go?
The usual ... food, housing, charity.
14. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
The APCS Reading. And Cedar Campus. June is a fun month.
15. What song will always remind you of 2007?
Not sure I work that way ...
16. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. happier or sadder?: A little happier.
ii. thinner or fatter?: Thinner, I think. 5-10 pounds or so.
iii. richer or poorer?: Richer.
17. What do you wish you'd done more of?
18. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Not sure. That's the issue ... it's not I feel like I waste a lot of time. (As I sit hear LJ-ing ...)
19. How will you be spending Christmas?
Morning home with just us ... then to Detroit for the afternoon, then to Pittsburgh for 3 days.
20. Did you fall in love in 2007?
I have a love already.
21. How many one-night stands?
22. What was your favorite TV program?
Gee, it's hard to say. I'm still catching up with West Wing on DVD. In terms of live TV, must-watch for me is the rotating set of reality contests on Bravo (Project Runway, Shear Genius, Top Design, Top Chef).
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
Not really ... pretty much the same cast of characters.
24. What was the best book you read?
Wild at Heart (still have a chapter or two to go).
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Don't think I made one.
26. What did you want and get?
This T-shirt (for Christmas).
27. What did you want and not get?
Peace and joy ... at least, not in permanent doses.
28. What was your favorite film of this year?
I wish I could remember a movie I saw this year that was in the theaters. I'm not sure we saw one.
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
Nothing that I remember, especially ... probably stayed home, watched the UM-Notre Dame game. And I'm 27. (In hex.)
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Having that one person learn some humility and quit annoying the heck out of me.
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2007?
Mostly the same as always ... eclectic.
32. What kept you sane?
God, and a good woman.
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
None, really. Don't go there much.
34. What political issue stirred you the most?
None, really. The things I care about nationally, or internationally, I've gotten disillusioned about ... there's almost nothing passing for honest-to-goodness discussion and debate anymore. And I don't have the time or the energy to get into a scrum about everything, so ...
35. Who did you miss?
36. Who was the best new person you met?
Don't know I really met anyone new. Maybe some of my students.
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2007.
People do care, even if they don't show it well.
38. Quote a song lyric that you relate to or that you love.
So I tuck it all away, like everything’s okay
If I make them all believe it, maybe I’ll believe it too
So with a painted grin, I play the part again
So everyone will see me the way that I see them
(Casting Crowns, Stained Glass Masquerade)
In 2007 I...
 broke a promise
 made a new best friend
 fallen out of love
 went behind your parents back
 cried over a broken heart
 disappointed someone close
 hid a secret
[x] pretended to be happy
 slept under the stars
 kept your new years resolution
 forgot your new years resolution
[x] didn't have a new years resolution
 met someone who changed your life
 met one of your idols
 changed your outlook on life
 sat home all day doing nothing
 pretended to be sick
[x] left the country
 almost died
 given up something important to you
 lost something expensive
[x] learned something new about yourself
[x] tried something you normally wouldn't try and liked it
 made a change in your life
[x] found out who your true friends were
 met great people
 stayed up til sunrise (not on purpose!)
 pigged out over the summer
 cried over the silliest thing
 was never home on weekends
 got into a car accident
In 2007 I...
 stayed single
[x] got kissed
 kissed someone new
[x] made out
 made out in a car
 kissed in the snow
 kissed in the rain
 fell for a fool
 had my heart broken
 broke someone else's heart
 had a stalker
 lost a friend
[x] had a good relationship with someone
 questioned my sexual orientation
 I used to sit in my closet and came out of my closet
 thought I was pregnant / thought I got someone pregnant
 had an abortion
 got married
 got divorced
 kissed someone of the same sex
 met someone that I will never forget
[x] did something I regret
 lost my true love
 lost faith in love
 kissed under mistletoe
 got a promotion
 got a pay raise
 changed jobs
 lost my job
 quit my job
 dated a co-worker
 had something with my boss
 dated my boss's son/daughter
 got straight A's
 met a teacher who I became friends with
 met a teacher who I really hate
 found the subject I love
 failed a class
 cut class
 skipped school
[x] did something I was proud of
[x] discovered a new talent
 proved myself
 embarrassed myself in front of the class
 fell in love with a teacher
[x] was involved in something that I will never forget
[x] drew a picture
 wrote a poem
 listened to music I couldn't stand
 double dipped
 skinny dipped
 went to a sleepover
[x] went to camp
 threw a surprise party
 laughed till I cried
 laughed till I peed my pants
 flirted shamelessly
[x] visited a foreign country
[x] visited another state
 cooked a disastrous meal
 lost something important to me
[x] got a gift I love
[x] realized something new about myself
 dyed my hair
 came close to losing my life
 someone close to me died
[x] went to a party
 drank alcohol
 got arrested
[x] read a great book
 saw a great movie
 saw a movie so scary that it made me cry
 saw a band live or concert/show
 did something that I want to tell everyone
 experienced something new
 made new friends
[x] found out who your real friends are
 lied to your parents
 got in trouble with police
 kissed in a pool
 kissed under the stars
[x] had the time of your life
 fell out of love
 had a crush on someone
 changed your sexual preference
[x] swam in a pool
 made a snowman
 went snowboarding
 went sledding
 slept in past 2pm
[x] held someones hand
[x] held someones hand that you cared about
 got wasted in a public place
 got wasted in Mexico
 told someone you like them as more than a friend
[x] gone on vacation
 gone on vacation with a friend
[x] driven a car
 played strip poker
 danced in the rain
 got in a car accident
 seen someone get in a car accident
 got in a fist fight
 laughed until you couldn't breathe
 had an amazing year
 missed someone
 got hit by car
 went to the hospital
 got a new pet
 enjoyed this year overall